The pattern is called, Midnight at the Oasis by Jen Kingwell. It measures 60″ square. It looks like a round robin. I always read a pattern cover to cover before I start. I made decisions after the first read.
- I will not use a medium size dot fabric for a background. I need something that reads as a solid for the eye to rest. I chose the grey that looks like brush strokes.
- I decided to hand applique the center onto a 15 1/2″ square rather than use the templates provided. This would help me to keep it square.
- I decided to hand applique the petals in the first round.
- I decided to turn the baskets inward and hand applique the vines and flowers.
- I decided to use background fabrics from the first round with the Kaffe Fassett scraps to make the churn dash blocks. Again I think it is easier to see the churn dash blocks with the more “solid” ish fabrics in the backgrounds.
- Once again the checkerboard seemed too busy for me. I want my free motion quilting to shine, so I decided to simplify the checkerboard round to alternating blocks in the center strip and two solid background strips, one on either side.
- To brighten each round, I chose a red-purple to separate each round.
- On the last round, I used the brush stroked background with the colorful fabrics to make courthouse steps blocks.
As I started cutting units to sew at the get away, I decided to change the cutting measurements to use my Sew Easy Guide to make half square triangles and then trim them to size.
I do appreciate all the effort that went into making this pattern. It is another reminder to me to use the skills in my quilting technique box and not to follow a pattern blindly. I will clearly give the credit for the design to Jen Kingwell. I just hope she doesn’t mind that I modified it a bit. It will be my quilt, and not one to be displayed with her pattern pinned to it.
How many of you follow all of my instructions? Please feel free to use rulers or techniques that you’ve learned and liked, if you see that it may work out more accurately or just more simply.
Personally, I love to see how my students modify my patterns. We all have individual perspectives. If you feel driven to change something, do it!
I put my blocks and strips up on my design wall and stitched them together. The top is done!
I also finished a mini tuffet 8″ round.
And a Squffet too!
Well, almost finished. I ordered a 2″ button to cover with fabric and secure in the center.
Next were two small wall quilts,(12 1/2″ x 22″) for my mom. She quilted the first one and sent me a picture of something similar to the second one. I stitched them up and finished the bindings and rod pockets during the rain yesterday and mailed them to her today.
Yes, 2018 does look like a year I’m making some progress.
See you in two weeks for more progress!
Quilting is my therapy!